A busy day was had; the fruit cage was assembled… sounds grand but its some canes and netting. Does the job though and is ( importantly) easy to assemble. Hopefully we should get a good crop this season, the bushes were mostly cuttings given to us from another allomenter and they’ve took a while to get going, last year was great, lets hope this is too.
The runner bean poles went up, they’d sprang up in the green house and after a hardening off session in our makeshift box ( everything we have is makeshift!) they went out. We also have the French climbers to go, but they didn’t seem as hardy. There are still frosts around, as I found out when we turned up a few days ago to see the leaves of the broad beans had been frost bitten!
We had to move a lot of what we grow in tubs into the hardening off box, so it a bit cramped this week. Have to keep an eye out for pests and diseases before they can go out. There’s a lot of ventilation though, through the gaps in the window panes!
A few of the beds we’ve had to leave fallow, not only for crop rotation purposes but with one of us being in a leg brace and walking stick bound, we have to be sensible. Our spuds are again in our ‘Swedish’ potato sacks. It was successful last year, with a great crop from each so, two jobs in one. Fallow bed and spud bags covering it.
We’re so glad the season has taken off, feels a bit late this year though. It was great to see ( most! ) of the other allotmenters, and to have a cup of tea outside with the sun on your face. Happy digging!