Hello! It’s spring! At last! The sun is shining, the breeze has become slightly warmer and in Britain at least, we have gained an extra hour of daylight. We are still in a strict lockdown here until the middle of April, but many have been jabbed with the first vaccine and the second should be following on soon. There seems to be light at the end of this tunnel.
Lets go to the allotment.
We had to put a new cover on the poly-tunnel. The old one was literally crumbling into horrible little plastic pieces. Last summer we actually saw a tomato plant growing through the roof of it. It’s not a job for a windy day – you only have to look on instagram to see photos of the many blown away poly-tunnel covers. We cut the old one off, then maneuvered the new one on the remaining skeleton. The doorway was slightly too short so we had to add a hem from the old one onto it! We thought that it would be the same length, but hey, it was on. It’s been dug into the ground, and staked with wood around the bottom, so even when it billows like a lung in a high wind, it’s not going to move … we hope!
The garlic looks really good. We had a freezing frost, -10 a couple of weeks ago and that seems to have done it some good. We released it from it’s protective cage – that squirrel was not going to munch on it – and it’s perked up even more. We’re planting peas in the middle of the rows. Hopefully they should be good for companion planting. We had started some modules of spinach a while back. It’s been put into a trough to let it spread, as it’s beginning to crop already.
March has always been frenetic with seed planting. This year we have been ‘organised’. With a list and all that! We’ve kept to small modules for the brassica, larger for the beans. Flowers have also been done in the same way, rather than planting whole trays up and having too many seedlings in a few weeks time. New crops for this year are kale, chard, broccoli and turnips. Carrots have been planted in troughs and placed on a ledge by the shed to try and avoid white-fly, who enjoyed themselves last year on our crop. Apparently they cannot fly higher than three feet … we’ll see.
After the hard frost we had not long back we realised we had lost many of the strawberries and had to replant one of the beds. It was looking very sorry for itself so we invested in some new plants and got them in, hopefully in time for some fruit this summer.
It’s been a year since we’ve all been affected by Covid. A horribly long one. We hope you are coping and that you are well. Happy plotting.
(@PlotDaze twitter) ( @plot_daze Instagram)